Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Approaching Lightspeed - Wolfsheim - Casting Shadows - 2003

So I was riding the elevator in my office downstairs to buy a soft drink, when it stopped on the third floor to pick up a passenger. To the best of my knowledge this was the first time I'd seen the 3rd floor of my building, and I noted with some curiosity that it was an empty floor, completely gutted.

This reminded me of something that I hadn't thought of in a good while. Back when I worked for my crazy dotcom in the financial district in the early part of this decade, there was a similarly gutted and vacant floor in our building that the young men of the company adopted as "the clubhouse".

Due to the fact that we were all over worked and underpaid (and all the bars in the financial district are either ungodly expensive or meant for fire fighters and construction workers) we'd go down to the local delis and pick up six packs (which were equally inflated - $11 for a 6 of Bud, $14 for imports) and go hang out on this abandoned floor, drink and smoke and play baseball with a broken mop handle and the company's branded stressballs that we had in droves. It was nice to have a cheap hang out, in a city where space is at a premium and watchful eyes are everywhere.

I'm certainly guilty of romanticizing this period of my life on a basically daily basis, but tell me that it doesn't sound appealing. An empty floor of a an office building, a bunch of guys, a few six packs, and a game...what more could a man ask for at the end of a hard day of work?

Anyway, this is more German electropop. Not bad and a little more energetic than their previous entry.

No comments: