Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Army Corps of Architects - Death Cab for Cutie - Sub Pop Singles Club 7 Inch - 2000

This is one of those rare songs that I can actually remember where I was the first time I heard it. Not because this song is especially memorable (it's not) but because it is the B-side of a much better song...however since that song starts with a "U" (Underwater) I probably won't get to it till like 2012.

When I first moved to the city, one of my favorite cheap ways to hang out with my friends was to go to my friend Rance's place and listen to music. Rance had a good size record (by which I mean vinyl) collection, and his roommate had an even bigger one. My friend Josh, who I had just started hanging out with, was a member of the Subpop single of the month club and had just gotten the latest from a new Pacific Northwest band called Death Cab for Cutie....this probably would have been around January of 2001.

I sometimes miss those times, of just sitting with my friends and listening to music and drinking beer. I miss the ability to be totally captivated by new music, but now I sit back and wonder about those times "How did we just sit around and listen to music and not do anything else?"

2 comments:

TheNewDeterrence said...

In the effort of transparency, it was actually Rance who was the Subpop single member. I only know this because he claims to have signed up online while wasted, never realizing he signed up until the first single arrived in the mail and he was super excited. I did however show up at Rance's a lot.

J.D. Herr said...

Good thing we kept this all above board...you never know when this could come back to haunt you...