Thursday, August 20, 2009

Author Unknown - Jason Faulkner - Can You Still Feel? - 1999

After we cleared out of The Middle East, Uncle Singh suggested we hit another nearby indie rock club called TT The Bear's, but I think we were all musiced out. At this point, I had simply accepted that this was going to be my Saturday night in Boston. It was approaching midnight, bars in this town closed early and the older Singhs showed no sign of wishing to go home. My hopes for a night of drunken debauchery and carousing had been transformed into a mildly pleasant night with a nice couple and an early call time.

We drove down to another bar in Allston (after the GPS was set, of course) to close out our night. The Sunset Tap and Grill had come highly recommended to me as the best beer selection in the city, and it seemed like it would be the type of place that we would all enjoy. Upon arrival, I was actually satisfied that I had picked the right place. An impressive beer menu and draft list was presented to us and we grabbed a quiet table in the corner to close out the night. Anand and I decided to sample the mead.

The table next to us got a plate of nachos...which I have to say was the biggest plate of nachos I've ever seen in my light. It could have fed a small village. If any of us had been even remotely hungry, we would have gotten them. As it stood, with our belly's full of fine Italian food all we could do was stare in amazement at the enormity of the plate.

After a couple of drinks last call was announced and we wrapped up our night. As we walked the older Singhs to their car, Uncle Singh asked if we wanted to come back to their apartment and drink some wine...we declined, hoping to take advantage of what little we had left of our night. We even declined a drive back to our hotel, as we wanted to walk. We put them in their car, thanked them profusely and then as soon as they were out of site, went back to the only bar on the strip open till 2.

This little power-pop nugget by Jason Faulkner manages to squeeze in the most jamming flute solo this side of Anchorman into it's late 90's instrumentation...and that's saying something.

No comments: