Monday, March 2, 2009

Around and Around - Chuck Berry - The Ultimate Collection Disc 2 - 1959

Ok, so clearly my plan to update this from Europe did not take shape. Though in some fairness to myself, it was not due to my unwillingness or lack of time, but due to the criminal lack of free wi-fi available in European hotels...and I wasn't paying 20 Pounds just to update y'all.

Anyway, vacation was good and much needed and I'll do my best to give you a thorough recap (with a few details excluded to protect the guilty) over the next few days. So where to start...

Well, I was due to depart from my office at 2PM on Wednesday the 18th. At 1:55 my boss called me into his office just to make sure that "my head was in the game". I found this rather curious timing as I was 5 minutes away from a European vacation and my head was anywhere but "in the game". I suppose he thought my cage needed rattling. As I returned to my desk to grab my stuff and shut down, several of the guys I project manage tried to intercept me and tell me that there was a crucial issue that would impact our next release and that we needed to go to the boss right away...but I wasn't falling for that trick. I let them know that it was 2:07 and "as of 7 minutes ago, this is official someone else's problem".

I met up with my buddy Anand and we walked up to the village to get a good old American cheeseburger at The Corner Bistro and then headed up to Penn station to catch the train out to Newark Airport. For those that have never done it, one of the charms of taking a train out of Penn station is that you can buy giant 32 oz. draft beers to take on the train. They give these to you in soda cups complete with a lid and straw, and honestly if you've never tried to drink a 32 oz. beer through a straw in about 25 minutes...then you haven't lived my friend.

Curiously enough the police have a check point in between the train and the airport, and Anand was convinced that our recently slammed beers would cause some trouble, but despite the most thorough check we got on the entire trip, we made it to the desk and through real security with plenty of time to spare.

After a trip to the duty free store, we popped into the airport bar and threw down a few stiff whiskeys. Finally we boarded the plane with the appropriate buzz going. I passed out relatively quickly and wouldn't really wake up until we touched down in Berlin...

As for the song, this is Chuck Berry doing his thing (and no, I don't mean installing cameras in women's toilets)...it's no better or worse than usual. Not much else to say on that one.

No comments: