Wednesday, April 22, 2009

AT 12 to 6 - Mazarin - We're Already There - 2005

So, on my brother's last night in town I made a rather dangerous discovery. Joe had met me after work and we (along with Anand) had gone for a couple beers at a west village bar and then to the Belgian place on West 4th. After a few we started thinking about places to eat.

I had asked Joe, being as it was his last night in town, if there was any particular request he had for his last night in town. Getting an opinion on plans from my brother is one of the trickier tasks in the universe, so of course his answer was "I don't know dude, whatever you want". So I racked my brain for something kind of interesting and fun that would be good to eat on a rainy Monday after a few beers when a good answer hit me: Hill Country.

For those that have never experienced the wonder that is Hill Country, it is a Texas themed BBQ restaurant on 26th St between Broadway and 6th Ave. Rather than being locked into certain entrees or whatever, the service is cafeteria style with meat ordered by the pound (Me personally, I usually get 2 pork ribs and a 1/4 or 1/2 pound of moist brisket...depending on my appetite). The also have extremely good and trashy sides like gooey mac n cheese or green bean casserole and of course tasty beverages.

As we were walking in the guy who usually hands you your meal card stopped me and asked "Do you want pay by the pound or are you here for the All You Can Eat."

Without thinking I said "the pay by the pound...wait, wait, talk to me about this All You Can Eat".

Turns out on Monday nights you can get all you can eat for $25 per person (Which is a great deal, as I usually spend at least $25 there anyway). This is a dangerous thing for me to know. Joe and I ate ribs and moist brisket until we rolled ourselves out into a cab.

Now that I'm at an age where I only have time to fall in love with about 5-6 albums a year as oppossed to 20, it is especially sad that a band that put out an album I really love had to stop making records right afterwards. After putting out two middling albums with a couple of decent songs under the name Mazarin, Philly's Quinten Stoltzfus finally got one right with "We're Already There". And then he got caught in a lengthy dispute about the name rights for the band and has seemed to have retreated to the world of studio work for the time being. Here's hoping he comes back out swinging with another good record of his style of melencholy power pop.

No comments: