Tuesday, April 21, 2009

AT and T - Pavement - Wowee Zowee - 1995

Can't use an & in a title I guess.

So I had to go pick up a package at the post office this morning. I got to the door at 845 only to discover that my PO had changed their hours and wouldn't be opening until 9...so I got a cup of coffee and waited for it to open. There were a couple of people in front of me, and shortly a line formed behind me.

When 9 rolled around I was walking in the door and I saw an older man with a cane waiting to go in. I stood back, held the door and offered him to go first. Then I got pushed in the back. The guy behind me starts giving me shit for letting the old man go first. "Come on man, I don't have time for this, I got places to go!"

What the fuck is wrong with people...if I had blown by him they would have yelled at me for being an entitled white dude and not respecting the older generation. I hold the door for him and I'm wasting people's time. It just doesn't pay to be kind, I guess.

Anyway, I used to think of Wowee Zowee as a bad misstep from Pavement...but in later years I find it to be their most enjoyable, most fun album. I've never held them in the reverance that so many do. But I like them well enough, and this song brings enough rock and very little of the hippy tendencies that tend to infuriate me about the band.

No comments: