Monday, October 27, 2008

Any Other Way - The Posies - Dear 23 - 1990

Met up with my buddy Rance in Park Slope for some Guinness last night. Much as I am not a fan of the coming cold weather, it is kinda nice to wear a sweater and drink some tasty stout. I mean, who the hell wants one of those things when it's 90 degrees out? But when there's a nice crisp chill in the air, there are few things better.

If you want a concise picture of what I was like as a 19 year old, you could do worse than this song. Hyperarticulate, but perpetually heartbroken. Snide and snarky, as method to mask the crippling pain of adolescent "love" (It's telling that the one line in the song that is not said sarcastically is the plaintive wail of "She Left Me Alone!!!"), but still self-aware enough to know that it's all ridiculous and to have a gallows-humor laugh at the pain.

For instance:
"She Left Me Alone/Could you believe we ran out of things to fight about
I was crushed of course/but at least I have something I can write about
I guess that I'm just so proud of my contempt/it gets paid for having nothing good to say
And even though it doesn't pay the rent/I wouldn't have it any other way."

Ahhhhh, it's all so freaking smug...

This song pretty much wraps up everything I loved about The Posies as a teenager, the clever word-play, the heart on the sleave, the pitch perfect harmonies...and it also sums up most of the things I'm embarrassed about in my youth. Kinda makes me want to go find my teenage counterpart and shake some sense into him.

No comments: