Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Any Several Sundays - Lilys - Selected EP - 2000

As I think I've mentioned previously there is a yuppie-fied new ice cream shop/coffee shop around the corner from my apartment in my slightly ghetto neighborhood. So, I was in there Friday morning and basically saw a scene that made me miss the days when the whole block was covered in chicken bones and broken glass.

When I first arrived there was only one other customer in the store, a middle aged, probably single woman, and she was boring the tubby goth barrista with talks of the yarn festival she had attended the previous weekend and the things she'd be knitting this fall. Fortunately, she cleared out fairly quickly before I bit through my cheeks to keep from laughing at her...but she was replaced by a stern looking woman in her mid thirties and her 5-ish daughter. The little girl was adorable, all blonde curls and little pink plastic rain coat...and the girl just wanted a bagel with cream cheese. But her mother proceeded to berate her for not doing her choirs (this is a five year old here) and then told her that "papa didn't even want to let you have dress down Friday because of the way you've been acting".

This of course made me wonder what exactly the girl would be forced to wear on days of the week that were not Friday...and more to the point, what kind of sad messed up life this little girl was going to have growing up under Hester Prynne there.

The yuppiefication of my neighborhood continues to problematic.

This is another track by Lilys during their 60's psychedelia phase. Worth a listen.

No comments: