Thursday, November 20, 2008

Apocalypso - Mew - Mew and the Glass Handed Kites - 2005

So I went with my lady friend to see the Girltalk show at Terminal Five last weekend. I went in totally expecting to feel like the oldest person on the planet, and was not really disappointed on that front. But the night turned out to be a lot more eventful than merely me getting drunk and feeling like a codger. (It certainly helped that my lady friend and her mid-twenties friends were ALSO on the older side of the crowd).

We're at the show, and the girls all take their group trip to the bathroom, leaving me to hit the bar. I'm standing in the middle of the long bar, trying to get the bar tender's attention. I look behind me and realize there is a girl standing uncomfortably close to me on my left. I quickly turn back around, avoiding eye contact. On top of the fact that she was really not my type (willowy blonde) my girlfriend was also going to be back from the bathroom any second and this was really not the time for me to be making small talk with some sweet young thing.

But the lady is persistant and starts making conversation with me. Starting with the ubiquitous "Where are you from?" I could smell that something was up...she clearly wanted something other than some conversation from a tall dark stranger. So after a few awkward exchanges she finally cut to the chase. "See, I'd really like to get a vodka cranberry, but I have this problem with my wristband..."

Now, as I've stated here before, I don't really have a problem with underage drinking, but I was not about to get into this situation. Buying an underage (for drinking) girl a drink at an all ages show with my girlfriend seconds from returning was all kinds of trouble I was not looking to get in. So I politely decline and wish her luck. At which point she shakes my hand and says "Indiana breeds very moral people. I commend you"...

Now was she a Jump Street cop? Or just the most self possessed 19 year old ever? I have no clue...but it was definitely an odd begining to an even more odd night.

To be continued...

Oh, and this is Mew doing it's usual Scandanavian arena rock with indie rock charm bit. Totally fun, if not life changing.

No comments: