Friday, November 21, 2008

Appeasement - J.L. Weill - Tales from the Cold War - 2007

So I went out drinking with my coworkers last night for a couple of birthdays we had last week. After a while I broke out one of my favorite party tricks which is to find the person least likely to turn down a free drink and offer to buy them the most disgusting drink on the menu.

In this case, at The Soho Room, the drink was The Bubbletini...sadly, the drink did not involve Tapioca balls...which I was hoping it would, as this would vastly increase the fun of making the poor guy drink this concoction...but sadly it was just Pomegranite Infused Vodka, Orange Juice, and some other fruity liquer. Which basically raises the question...why call this the Bubbletini? There's nothing bubbly about it.

Additionally, the evening was made more entertaining by the fact that some new rum was having a promotion and we were basically teh only customers in the bar. The shot girls told us that they were not allowed to hand out more than one shot per person, but that they could leave trays of shots on the bar, and if we happened to come up and take them...so be it...

So there were a lot of fruity rum shots in my evening.

Anyway, this is a song by one of my closest friends, (and occasional blog commentator) so I don't know that I can be objective about it. He and his wife Torie sing very well together and the arrangement is really quite good and adds to the melencholy atmosphere that he's aiming to create. I give Josh a hard time that he doesn't "rock" enough for my taste...but I've always respected his ability to write a good melody, and this song is no exception.

No comments: