Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Are You Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? - 1967

It's really ridiculously cold here in NYC today. I know, it's January and I live in the Northeast, I should expect this stuff, but keep in mind the majority of us NYCers have to walk a lot. Leaving my apartment this morning, my hair froze in the half block walk it took me to get to the coffee shop.

The title track from this classic rock staple is a lot more experimental than I generally give Hendrix credit for. Sure, he's a great guitar player, but at least in what we hear on the radio, he's rarely more than a flashy blues player. But the backwards tape loops and chiming piano part sound like something from more of a studio innovator than Hendrix is generally credited with being. No complaints on my part.

No comments: