Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Arizona - Kings of Leon - Because of the Times - 2007

Sometimes a band must be seen in a live setting to be appreciated. I went through a lengthy period of time not particularly liking KoL. I found them to be a lesser version of My Morning Jacket. I found Caleb Followill's weird voice to be...well weird. And also, as a University of Kentucky grad, I felt obligated to support the KYers over the Tennessee boys.

But then I saw KoL at All Points West. In order to make sure we had some visibility for Radiohead, my buddy Anand and I made our way as close to the front as we could during the King's show. And it's impressive enough that they could change my opinion with a good live show, but to change my opinion with a good live show at a huge outdoor festival (which is death to many better bands...Grizzly Bear for instance). All in all, the Kings of Leon boys put on a great show and lead to me downloading their catalog. They aren't my favorite band by a long stretch, but I've certainly enjoyed listening to them.

This particular song is a nice slow jam with a searing guitar line and good build up. I'm glad they changed my mind about them.

No comments: