Thursday, June 12, 2008

All You Need Is Love - The Beatles - All You Need Is Love (Single) - 1967

Okay, so I gave myself a pass about having to write about over played classic rock songs, and this is most certainly that...but I do actually have a story about it.

I used to date this girl who hated this song...that's not really a story. I mean, I kinda hate this song too (It's a sign of what a completionist dork I am that I have songs on here that I hate), but unlike me it was not the hippy nostalgia, the cloying sentimentality, or whimsical horn parts that made her hate the song. She hated it for one little moment.

As the song comes to a close, descending into cacaphony, the band incorporates pieces of many other songs...La Marseillaise, a bit of Bach, Greensleaves, a Glenn Miller tune. In this stew Paul sings a small snippet of "She Loves You". Now this particular girl had an issue with any overt display of ego, and to name check your own song in the mix of these undeniably timeless tunes to her was arrogant in the extreme. (She'd grown up the youngest of five sisters, and was therefor uncomfortable with a great deal of typical male behavior).

I counter-argued that, despite not particuarly caring for the song, I did respect it's efforts at being a post modern pastiche...she was fine with that, it was the self elevation that bothered her. I pointed out that, even as early as 1967, "She Loves You" was already a part of the musical canon, but still the self-congratulatory aspect of bothered her too much.

It's always odd when you find yourself in the position of defending something you don't even like that much.

No comments: