Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Aloha Spirit - Seam - The Pace Is Glacial - 1998

Somewhere around the summer of 1985 my Grandfather ran an ice cream bicycle franchise out of the back of his army surplus store in Kokomo, IN. During the summers, when I wasn't in school, I'd hang out at my grandfather's store, playing with the army surplus stuff, wishing I could shoot the guns, and looking for excuses to break into the giant freezers in the back room.

My Grandfather and I had a deal that I was allowed to eat any "rejects"...a surprising number of ice cream products came out broken that summer, but I only feel so bad about that now. My Grandparents still managed to be top sellers in the state and won a free carribean cruise out of it, which represents the only time my Grandmother was ever on a plane.

But what I think about most about that summer...when I think about it at all...is the lives of the young men who worked for my grandfather. Late high school or college age guys who spent their summers riding a bicycle with a freezer basket full of ice cream around the booming metropolis of Kokomo. In a day and age before Internet, without much video games, and in a town where office jobs weren't exactly plentiful...it doesn't seem like such a bad way to spend your summer. Occassionally, when the sun is out, it even sounds better than jockeying a desk in NYC. But then on the other hand, when their work days were over they had nothing to do but drive around the same city they'd biked around...whereas I get to go play in the city that never sleeps. It's a trade off.

Anyway...Seam rules.

No comments: