Wednesday, June 4, 2008

All The Young Dudes - Mott The Hoople - All The Young Dudes - 1972

I have little patience with Boomer nostalgia (unless we're talking about the former Cincinnati Bengels Quarterback, but that's another story). I've spent my entire life being beaten over the head with the fact that nothing I ever do will be as revolutionary as what they did in the 60's, no movement in film will be as groundbreaking as the French New Wave and their American acolytes in the 1970's, and no music will ever be as revelatory as The Beatles, Stones, etc (and I like both the Beatles and the Stones)...

Given that fact I have some trepidation claiming anything is "The Greatest xxx Ever!"...but I must say that this Bowie penned gem does contain one of the best opening lines ever with "Well, Billy rapped all night about his suicide/how he'd kick it in the head when he's 25" With it's mournful guitar intro and Ian Hunter's too-many-cigarettes vocals it immediately grabs your attention. Its pitch perfect harmonies keep the vibe going, and like with so many things with Bowie, the lyrics seem to prescient, prefiguring the resentment later generations would have with Boomers and their "Revolution Stuff".

Honestly just a great song.

And on final word on Boomer nostalgia...Hilary can bite me!

No comments: