Monday, June 16, 2008

Allison Krause - The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart - 2003

A month and a half later, and we are finally out of the "all"s.

So since I've talked quite a bit about my love for summer being based on the inverse relationship between the temperature and the amount of clothing women wear, I guess it's time I talk about some of the things I love about the summer that don't make me sound like a giant perv....which is why you are going to get an ode to my love of the grilling.

I am rarely tempted to leave the city all behind and go grab a suburban life...but one of the few things that would appeal to me about that is the grill in the back yard. Grilling involves many things my caveman-self loves...building a fire, cooking meat, drinking. In addition to that, being the guy running the grill serves another, larger, social purpose. As the grill master at a barbeque you are relieved of the responsibility of mingling. People come to you. They bring you meat to cook. They make you drinks. They come and talk to you because they feel bad you are "Stuck at the grill" and as long as you don't under-cook chicken, you come away looking like the hero.

Allison Krause niether seems to be about the Alt-Country singer nor does it particularly sound like her...in any way...however this song does contain a great joke about technical virginity...which is funny in and of itself. The Stills managed to piss away all the good will they earned with this album with their subsequent releases. Yes, the album is entirely derivative, but it's a good listen...and will always remind me of the crazy second half of 2003.

No comments: