Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And You Lied To Me - The Besnard Lakes - The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horse - 2007

I saw something one of the oddest things I've ever encountered on the subway this AM. I had stayed out later than I meant to last night, and then one of my friends had "forced" a shot of Wild Turkey on me, so my morning commute was a little rough. But between Bergen and Atlantic Aves I saw an mid-forties African-American man walking down the aisle towards the front of the train. He was a bit short, but very stocky. And he was wearing a Met's baseball cap and a brown plaid shirt...so from the waist up, nothing out of the ordinary...however...the plaid shirt was then tucked into a full red plaid kilt and hose set. For a second I wondered if I might be still drunk or something, because none of the other passengers were reacting. I know all about NYC cool...but seriously people, if you are not going to react to this, what are you going to react to?

I have mixed feelings about The Besnard Lakes. Their boy-girl harmonies are occasionally a bit Mama's and the Papa's for me, and they seem to have a completely un-ironic song about how cool the corner of Bedford and Grand is...but they are very good at creating menacing, ominous soundscapes, and this song is a great example of that. It's haunting guitars and fat chord keyboards combine wonderfully with the lyrics to create the sort of crushing feeling of being betrayed by someone you thought you could trust.

No comments: