Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Androgynous - The Replacements - Let It Be - 1984

The Summer of 1984 was the first time I can remember having a great time, the first time I remember thinking "Wow, summer is awesome!" I was 9. The movie theater had been playing such treasures as Ghostbusters, Gremlins and Temple of Doom (I was too young to realize its shortcomings). I spent a lot of time at the pool or cruising around the neighborhood with my cousin Ryan. I was too young to be stressed by girls or grades or any of the crippling self consciousness that would plague my junior high years.

Sadly, I was an oldest child so I had no older siblings to play Replacements records for me. I would only discover them backwards through Nirvana. (I don't know if anyone remembers the relentless Replacements comparrisons they received prior to Cobain becoming St. Kurt). Not that I had gender identification issues...that and acne are the two adolescent traumas I escaped...but an older brother might have at least ensured that I was listening to better stuff than Axel F, Summer of 69, and the theme from the aforementioned Ghostbusters.

No comments: