Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Abigail - The Broken West - I Can't Go On, I'll Go On - 2007

One thing I am definitely not shy about is my unabashed love of Merge records. Mac McCaughan was one of my college heroes, and the fact that he's gone on to co-found and run the best indie rock label in Christendom is yet another reason to admire the man. In addition to the well known flagships, your Spoon's, your Arcade Fire's, Merge also does a pretty good job of churning out a B-list of pleasant poppy rock acts like The Broken West. They aren't going to change your life, they just want to write a good pop song, like this one.

Actually this is one of those mid-tempo Big Star sounding songs that seem so simple, but infects your brain in a way that's hard to shake. Listen to the song once or twice, then tell me you don't have those dreamy harmonies in your head as you bop down the street..."Come on over, Abigail."

No comments: