Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Across The Avenue - Freedy Johnson - This Perfect World - 1994

When I was in my early twenties, I lived in Cincinnati and hated my life. Like many people my basic age I had caught Noah Baumbach's Kicking and Screaming on cable (not to be confused with the more recent Will Ferrell soccer movie which inexplicably featured Robert Duvall) and on the basis of its use on the soundtrack decided to pick up this Freedy Johnson album.

At the time, having never actually been to NYC, I assumed that these songs were little capsules of what a cool life in the city must be like. Now it all seems a bit trite and naive. Still, I keep this shit around to remind myself of the kid I used to be. There are better songs on this album, though...songs that make me cringe about "90's Josh" less. Serviceable

No comments: