Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Rules

Every day at work, I slap on the headphones, to escape the never ending drone of tech based conversation that surrounds me. According to the rules of this game (which yes, I realize I've created, and I am entirely self imposing) I must listen to every song on my iPod from start to finish, alphabetically, by song title.

I may skip a song only under very specific conditions.
A) The song is jazz...jazz is on my iPod specifically to be listened to while hungover on a Sunday morning, or at 3 in the morning with my fourth bottle of red and whatever poor lady I conned into listening to my ramble till all hours in the evening. Jazz at work, won't really work.

B) I have heard the song so many times that I can recite the lyrics in my head without the song actually being on the radio. No one has anything new to say about Penny Lane.

C) If I decide that under no circumstances do I want to hear this song EVER AGAIN. If I got whacked and downloaded a bunch of Japanese Noise Pop that sounds like chainsaws cutting through martini glasses...there is no reason that I should have to listen to all 15 minutes of it just so I can type the word "DELETED" to you people with a clear conscience.

So, that's the game...they aren't all going to be gems, in fact, some will be down right embarrassing...but these are the sacrifices we must make for our art. Read, enjoy, mock, scoff, or just fuck off.

2 comments:

TheNewDeterrence said...

I like this plan, and I'm happy to be a part of it ... Tell me again in what way this decreases your carbon footprint? I thought that was the point of everything these days ...

J.D. Herr said...

Bite me.