Thursday, March 27, 2008

Acuff-Rose - Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne - 1993

I had an absolutely batshit crazy subway preacher on the 2 train this A.M. It's been a while since I've seen one of these guys. Must be a reflection of the hard times we've fallen on...or something. This one was of the radical African-American sort, "whitey is the devil" and all. And you know, as I was being harangued through my hangover by this gentleman...I couldn't help thinking...I agree. Our monolithic Western Culture has really created a lot of victims in its quest for control...but on the flip side...'the fuck you want me to do about it? I'm just trying to get through the day, pay the rent, and find a nice lady that wants to pass out with me. I'm just one man, sir.

Anyway, there's a certain amount of gospel, to Jay Farrar's finger picking here. Figured the subway preacher was a good enough segue for that. Jeff Tweedy has definitely made some steps in the direction of being insufferable "dad rock" to quote Pitchfork's phrase, but back in the day he could still pen a catchy tune, and still had enough of his broken hearted humor in tact to be charming. Quality song.

No comments: