Friday, March 28, 2008

The Advancing Flags - Lansing-Dreidan - The Incomplete Triangle - 2003

When we were younger, my friend Josh and I would bicker quite a bit (not the least of which was about which of us was the "real" Josh)...but probably the most brutal fight we ever had was about this album. Josh had brought this album to the table and was rather proud of his find. When we discovered that LD was in fact not really a band but actually an art project, several of us, myself included, jumped ship.

"Fuck these pretentious Williamsburg assholes" was the basic sentiment. Josh, of course...always the Aesthete, immediately sprang to the defense and so the battle began. I believe the crux of his argument was "What's so bad about pretension?" The crux of mine was something along the lines of "What's so bad about your face, jerk!" A couple of days later there were "Agree to disagree" emails exchanged and a few tense beers were drunk. It's all good now.

Yes, in hindsight, it seems silly to me too.

And as I try to pinpoint exactly what it is that was so distastefully to me about that very idea...I'm having trouble articulating it. I guess there is still enough of an Indiana shit-kicker in me to find the idea of rock and roll being art on purpose contrary to the very nature of the beast. But then I'm a giant Radiohead fan...make sense of that, if you can.

No comments: