Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Alpha and Omega - Boards of Canada - Geogaddi - 2002

I had something of hellish Saturday night. My British friend and former co-worker Pip turned 40 and we took him out for a good time. After a lovely dinner and a pleasant time at the first couple of bars things began to take a turn for the worse...

Pip, like many of his countrymen, simply doesn't have an off switch when it comes to booze. Now, I'm sure you've noticed by now that I like the occasional drink or two...but I'm rarely out of control. Pip will keep driving right into the wall. Soon it became messy...and worse still, I had volunteered to let the man crash on my couch.

Shortly after he got us thrown out of O'Connor's (A feat I never thought was possible) I had to basically carry him home down Flatbush. What would normally be a 15 minute walk became a 45 minute walk...but the true nadir came when he insisted on trying to walk himself and then almost immediately fell backwards and head first down a flight of stairs. There was honestly 5-10 seconds in which I thought he was actually dead. And I was going to have to tell his wife that his son was an orphan...it was ugly.

Fortunately Pip was a bit banged up, but otherwise fine...I had to endure a fair amount of anti-Irish sentiment, but I can take that.

Anyway, Boards of Canada making blippy music. Perfectly acceptable

1 comment:

Jason Flahardy said...

And I was going to have to tell his wife that his son was an orphan...

"I got nothin' against him, but I'm definitely gonna make orphans of his children."

"Champ, what about the children's mother?"

"I would imagine she would die of grief."

JF