Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Alphabet Pony - The Kills - Midnight Boom - 2008

For a period between March 17th 2003 to February 20th 2004 I worked a job that required me to take a 1 hour and 40 minute commute each way. Specifically I had to take the G train about 10 minutes, then the E train for about 40 minutes to the outer edges of Queens. I then had to ride a bus for about another 40 minutes into Long Island proper, and then finally I had to walk about a mile and a half from the bus stop to the industrial park where the company I was working at was located. On the plus side, it was, at the time, the most money I'd ever made....still that didn't make the commute any more tolerable, particularly given my feelings on the MTA.

For the first 9 months of this job I did not have an iPod...just an old faithful CD player. During this period I got moderately into The Kills first album. I bought the CD for two reasons, first of all I'm a sucker for an angry, dark-haired, rocker girl and secondly, I generally like bluesy british riff rock. I liked the album well enough, but it never really stuck with me.

Recently while cruising the indie rock bulliten board I saw that they had released a third album (I missed the second one) and was not surprised to discover that the third album sounds pretty much like their first one. Nice enough, but nothing too exciting.

And for those that are curious, I remember those exact dates because I started the job on St. Patrick's day (The Iraq War would start on Friday of that week) and finished the Friday before my birthday.

No comments: