Friday, July 25, 2008

American Girl - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - 1976

Frankly, The Silence of the Lambs very nearly ruined this song for me. And what that didn't do The Strokes "Last Night" did the rest.

But I guess I can't really blame the messenger. And at the end of the day, this is still one of the finest examples of the mid 70's jangle pop ressurgance. And honestly, despite massive overexposure, this song is still just about note perfect. It's syncopated drum rhythm (which, as I mentioned, The Strokes would ride for dear life), it's half reggea bassline, Mike Campbell's 12 string jangle and the dreamy background vocals (always the Heartbreaker's secret weapon) make the song ideal from driving down country roads with the windows down on a muggy summer night. Stuff like this almost makes me miss Indiana.

No comments: