Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Amber Canyon Magik - Brightblack Morning Light - Brightblack Morning Light - 2006

So I'm at the beach on Saturday, sitting on a towel with two topless twenty-something girls (no, seriously) and a cold bottle of wine and thinking my life is pretty sweet. It was a hot day and all the tropical storm activity down south meant the waves were pretty intense for a NYC beach, and despite my urban slacker demeanor, I do truly love playing in the waves.

It gets to be about 530 and I decide to take one last turn in the waves. I'm jumping into the waves and riding them into the shore, but at this point the water is crazy. One wave picked me up and threw me, and I knew I was going to end up face first in the rocky sand...so I put my hands out to try to push off. The force of the wave whipped my legs up over my head, causing me to do a, completely unintentional, but basically perfect (and probably cool) back handspring. However, I also heard something in my back go "Pop" and while I was totally fine. There was the few seconds where I was like..."Oh shit, I'm the guy who got paralyzed for life being thrown by a wave" And that was pretty much it for me and the ocean that day.

Later on a man had to be pulled from the water...ambulances and helicopters came in for the rescue and somebody's day at the beach got ruined. Thankfully it was not me.

Anyway, the message here is...don't fuck with nature or she will fuck you up.

Brightblack Morning Light...doing their super stoned organ music thing. Either you like it or you don't. I like it well enough.

No comments: