Monday, September 8, 2008

Angel, Won't You Call Me - The Decemberists - 5 Songs EP - 2003

So, I have a relatively simple equation that goes into play to judge how much I like/dislike a Decemberists song. The equation looks something like this:

(Quirky Schtick - Actually Clever Lyrics) * Gay (literally) Subtext/Catchy Melody. You take the result of that and multiply by the square root of how much Colin Meloy's voice annoys you. If the result is relatively low, then you can probably stand the song.

I tend to like the Five Songs EP because it occurs so early in the bands career...before they were completely sure they could get away with the schtick. Meloy keeps it to a minimum. It really only pops out on My Mother Was A Chinese Trapeeze Artist and The Apology Song. The Gay subtext is non-existant, and the clever lyrics/catchy melody quotient is pretty high.

This certainly isn't my favorite song on the album, but it's not bad either.

Also, if you have the time, I've added a "Followers" link and a "Subscribe to my blog" link to the page. Since I have no idea if anyone actually reads this, feel free to let me know you're there.

1 comment:

TheNewDeterrence said...

There are many many thing I SHOULD like about this band ... and yet I cannot even make it through a single song. Annoying as hell.