Tuesday, September 9, 2008

An Angry Blade - Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank The Cradle - 2002

Over the course of our lives, there are a handful of days that change our perceptions. Some we never see coming, the day we meet that special someone, or the day that someone decides to walk out on us, or the day that terrorist decide to drop plans into buildings.

But other days we know about, we know for a fact that these days will change our lives. Wedding days, graduations, the birth of children. The first Iron & Wine album always reminds me of one of those days. It was my 29th birthday, and I was standing on the steps of The Natural History Museum waiting for a girl I was starting to date. My birthday fell on a Monday, so the party had been the Friday before. I had just finished a one year freelance gig with an investment bank, and was preparing to go to Europe for the first time with the money I'd saved. I'd shaved off a beard and gotten my hair cut.

My world was about to change, both for better and for worse...and it was an odd feeling, liberating and exhilirating. And I knew I'd never have another one quite like it.

No comments: