Friday, September 12, 2008

Animal Farm - The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society - 1968

Last night, I met up with two of the guys I used to work with back in 2001. They are two of my best friends and I see them most weeks, so it's not like it was that rare of an event. But as we get older and our free time gets less, it is less often that the three of us hang out all together and without wives/girlfriends (in my case)/other friends present...and I think all three of us wanted a little moment. Much as we pretend to be gruff cynics...all of the reminders we got on the day couldn't help but make us think a bit about where we were 7 years ago.

At the end of a very very involved night of drinking, I split a cab back to Brooklyn with one of the two. Despite being in Alphabet City, we told the cab driver to take the battery tunnel so that we could swing down by the old site, where the twin light memorial was shining. We had lucked into a mini-van cab and it was definitely cool to lean back and look at the lights, with the moon caught between them, and think of happier times.

The Kinks knew a thing or two about Utopia...sadly, we seem further than ever from that kind of dream.

1 comment:

TheNewDeterrence said...

Despite the fact that I know of whom you are taling, and talk to you regularly, a poignant moment. Thank you for it.