Thursday, April 17, 2008

Alarmed - Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future - 2001

So, I remember the first time I heard this record...It was early 2001 (pre-9/11) and I was living in a one room studio on 14th St. btwn 8th and 9th...back before that area was taken over by Stella McCartney. It was my first apartment in NYC and I was the only one of my crew to live in Manhattan, so my place was a frequent hang out. One of my friends had gotten a hold of an advance copy of the new BTS album and we were all excited to see it. Me and two of my fellow UK alums got together in my little room with a few six packs and sat back to listen. In hindsite, AMOTF is pretty lackluster, but I find this track to be one of the keepers. Martch was clearly trying to recapture a little of his Perfect From Now On mojo, bringing back Brett Netson for some fine space guitar, keeping Sam Coomes keyboard contributions appropriately eerie, and rocking the menacing vibe that made that earlier album so great.

As a history nerd, I also find something particularly evocative about the line "keep your lamps all trimmed and burning/might be alarmed at what you see". It speaks to something primordial in us, from before science had explained to us every creepy thing in the dark. I think leaving in early colonial america must have been terrifying. The darkness must have been positively Lovecraftian...

Yeah, anywho...

No comments: