Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Alison (Live) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Armed Forces (Disc 2) - 1978

Okay, it occurs to me that perhaps I've been a touch harsh on Indiana in the past few days. It didn't help that my family spent the entire weekend driving me insane, and that I missed that first beautiful weekend in NYC, but perhaps I was a bit harsh on the Hoosier State. I will say, as lame as it can be, it was absolutely gorgeous there on Friday. And that I had a really great time hiking through the woods with my dad and my brother. Also, in it's defense Indiana did produce both James Dean and Steve McQueen...two of the most classic icons of cool there are. And of course Izzy and Axl of GnR. And then there's the Jacksons...which is obviously a mixed bag. On one hand you have "Rock with You" and Tito...but on the other hand you have Jesus Juice and LaToya.

Anyway, I've also been hard on Elvis Costello...but I've yet to reach any of the songs in which I can wax rhapsodic about him. Sadly, this live version of Alison is yet another precursor to the modern Elvis, stripping away the little bit of grit the studio version has for a torch song rendition. For a guy who could tremendously, wonderfully angry (Despite his protests to the contrary) he could also be a tremendous sap.

No comments: