Friday, May 2, 2008

All Down Here From Here - Jim O'Rourke - Insignifigance - 2001

September 18th, 2001...so I worked downtown back then and our office had been forcibly closed for the previous week. We came back to work with a lot of trepidation...not really fear that something else would happen...just the general sense of dismay we'd all had. Our boss told us the company may not be able to survive the tough financial times that were sure to follow. None of us were quite sure why our work mattered. We were surrounded by armed guards, and the smell of burning metal and flesh. One guy in my office had volunteered to take a week off of work to help the firemen collect body parts. It was a seriously fucked up time.

Anyway, my friend Rance and I decided to take an especially long lunch (cause who really cared?) and walk up to Other Music and buy some CD's. I bought Superchunk's Here's To Shutting Up and Rance bought this album. Listening to any song from this album will always make me think of that strange dark time...

No comments: