Wednesday, May 7, 2008

All I Need - Radiohead - In Rainbows - 2007

My office is right outside of the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, so I just got to witness one of the protest to the Sean Bell verdict. A throng of protestors stood and blocked the entrance preventing commuters from getting to Jersey...if I wanted to be especially snarky, I would ask "exactly how is this a bad thing?" But more to the point...we are a nation founded on violent protest. The American Revolution was essientially a 6 year protest against unjust laws (and those were mostly just TAX laws) but we've become increasingly intolerant of protests in our modern country. Anti-war demonstrations are written off as "dumb hippies" and these kind of protests are written off as a "racial issue". The response to this protest today, was a lot of honked horns, and a bunch of people being shoved into police vans. My co-workers response "Damn, it would suck to have to go into the tunnel today". If actual change through beauracracy is rendered impossible and protest is rendered a pointless act of futility, what recourse do the wronged have?

Anyway, I'm sure Thom Yorke would agree. Odd that they re-used the intro from "Where I End and You Begin" again...but otherwise this is another lovely song on the surprisingly tender In Rainbows.

No comments: