Tuesday, May 13, 2008

All Mod Cons - The Jam - All Mod Cons - 1978

I was riding the LIRR back from Shea Stadium on Sunday when I encountered one of my biggest frustrations with the city of NYC. So, my ladyfriend and I had just missed the train to Penn Station and had to wait 20 minutes to for the next one...not the end of the world. We stood our time on the platform and talked. The platform gradually filled up.

As the train pulled into the station, a trio of old women were standing next to us waiting as well. Like a good midwestern boy, I let them on the train first. There were two open benches at the the end of the car, a 3 person seater and a two person seater. Perfect, the women could take the three person seat and me and the lady could take the two person seat...No! Of course not, the old women proceed to sit 2 on the big bench and 1 on the little.

This is what infuriates me, one basic act of community minded courtesy is repaid with total selfishness. I had this string of thoughts quite a bit when I lived in Greenpoint (The closest that I think I come to out and out racism is the total scorched-earth hatred I have for the community of Greenpoint). Old women know that, due to the social contract I will not act aggressively towards them...like say, throwing them on the subway track. Basic decency and the fact that no court in the land (both legal and of public opinion) would acquit me for acting in such a manner ensure that I will be gracious. But seriously, if my generosity will be constantly repaid be utter thoughtless self-centeredness, then what's the point in not simply shoving Hazel into the path of an onrushing train and decreasing the surplus population?

Anyway, this is a minute and a half of the Jam doing there thing. Much like the Beatles, I find some of the Jam's rock n' roll credibility shot by their clear reliance on British Barrell Hall music. Underneath the purpulsive drumming, crunching guitars, and social message they still feel the need to do that pansy harmonzing (and I like harmony) at the end of the song. Why not just cover When I'm 64?

2 comments:

Bafoonery in Brooklyn said...

Cosign. I don't know what was more weird about that train---the old people or the blond ortho youth who was checking you out for the entire ride home. Altough you are much more attractive than her Rabbi/diamond dealing dad.

J.D. Herr said...

That little girl was seriously creepy. I've never felt so violated by an 8 year old girl before.