Tuesday, May 6, 2008

All Heart, No Eyes - The Mendoza Line - We're All In This Alone - 2000

If you ever want to do a comprehensive study of low feminine self-esteem I would highly recommend you cull Shannon McArdle's songs from all the Mendoza Line albums. Hopefully, I will actually stick with this long enough to make it to the "I's" just so I can talk about "I'm That" but for the moment I'll make do with this one.

Essientially, any one of her songs work like this: She has a crush on a guy who is willing to use her for sex. She does not feel as if she is cool/pretty/smart/"good" enough for this person. She does not feel as if she deserves his love. She knows that he is using her, but would rather be used than be alone. And all of this is pinned to the Mendoza Line's slightly lazy alt-country twang.

Just brutal, brutal stuff.

No comments: