Wednesday, May 21, 2008

All The Nations Airports - Archers of Loaf - All The Nations Airports - 1996

If Iwere to chart a progression in my musical tastes then this album would hold a fairly signifigant place. Not that I loved it that much at the time, or love it that much now, or even listen to it much these days...but Archers of Loaf is the point at which I stepped out from the shadows of Alternative Nation and started actually following "Indie Rock" rather than a corporate idea of what that concept was supposed to be.

I sometimes take some shit/feel self-concious that I wasn't one of those guys you meet who were into the Pixies in 7th grade, that never had bad taste, that were seemingly born cool. But then I think about the circumstances, I had no older brother, there were no college stations in Kokomo Indiana, and no cable tv in the Geary household (I lived with my grandparents in High School, long story). All things considered the path from GnR to U2/REM to Led Zeppelin to Nirvana to Pearl Jam to real indie rock isn't so bad. At least I was never in a Garth Brooks phase. And besides, those people that were always cool...they are generally assholes.

1 comment:

TheNewDeterrence said...

Is this supposed to inure you from commentary about your unhealty obsession with Color Me Badd?

I mean, seriously, I get homage, but cornrows?! CORNROWS?!