Wednesday, May 21, 2008

All the Madmen - David Bowie - Man Who Sold The World - 1970

Man this is just first class, grade A, batshit-crazy early Bowie. This is the genesis of Labyrinth Bowie. Okay, lets tick off the items to support my thesis:
* - Strummed acoustic beginning a la Space Oddity - check
* - Distopyian lyrics ("The thin men stalk the streets/while the sane stay underground...the far side of town/where it's pointless to be high/cause it's such a long way down...day after day/they take my brain away/then ask me how I feel) - check
* - Searing Mick Ronson guitar solo that comes in after the first verse - check
* - Flute part that would clearly have been done on a synth if this album was created 3-4 years later. - Check
* - Spoken word bit...let me repeat that SPOKEN WORD BIT - check
* - Prog rock synth riffs - check
* - Hand claps - check

Really you just can't pay for this kind of wackiness...

4 comments:

TheNewDeterrence said...

Flute parts are far too few and far between. I mean, how does this happen? You're really stoned and rocking your new songs when you realize -- "Goddamn! This song is missing a FLUTE SOLO!"

Never been in that room.

Bafoonery in Brooklyn said...

I can only imagine the Jethro Tull album planning sessions...
I wonder who their dealer was?

J.D. Herr said...

Yeah, but at least in Tull the lead singer was the flute player, they were kinda stuck with him. It's not like anybody was going to say "Sorry, Ian, you can't put the flute in this song"...though maybe they should have.

The point was Bowie (or Ronson) said "You know what this song needs? Some flute trills"

Also, you can all thank me for steering away from any "Bowie plays the skin flute" jokes.

TheNewDeterrence said...

Wait, Bowie likes men, too?! I KNEW it...I mean, his wife's name is "I Man" ... c'mon...

In other news, the flute is super gay...I mean, i played the cello and even I thought the flute was gay!